Blog | Pigs in a Blanket (recipe)
Pigs in a Blanket (recipe)
For step-by-step photos on how to make Pigs in a Blanket, click here
1 1/4 cups white rice flour
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
4 tablespoons butter, cold
1/2 cup plus an addition tablespoon or two milk
1 large egg
1 (16 ounce) package gluten-free cocktail wieners
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line an 18x13-inch baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
3. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, cut butter into dry ingredients until no large pieces remain. Mixture should look coarse with tiny pebbles of butter distributed thoroughly throughout the mixture.
4. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the milk and egg. Blend until a dough forms. If dough is dry, add a splash (about 1 tablespoon) more milk. (To test the consistency of the dough, pinch off a little and squeeze it. The dough should hold a ball.) Knead dough together a few times to form a ball. You can do this right in the bowl.
5. Pinch off little balls of dough, about 1 generous teaspoon each. Roll dough ball and flatten between your hands. Press dough evenly around cocktail wieners to coat the wiener. Leave ends of the wieners exposed. Don't worry about the dough jacket being perfect. You just want to encase the sausage in dough. Looks don't matter. Place on prepared pan. Repeat until all dough is used. (This takes a little while.)
6. Bake 15-18 minutes or until dough is a light golden brown.
Makes about 50
You can make pigs in a blanket in advance and freeze them. Follow recipe up to step five. Place the wrapped wieners on a baking sheet and freeze. Once they are frozen, transfer to a large plastic bag. Store for up to two months. When you want to make pigs in a blanket. Preheat oven, brush egg mixture onto the frozen wieners and bake as directed. Cooking time might increase by a minute or two. Pull them out when dough is a light golden brown.