Classic Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake
For more information about this recipe, click here.
If you prefer a traditional shortcake, replace the brown rice and sorghum flour with white rice flour. I've made the recipe both ways and love both versions.
Allergen-Free Modifications: Dairy is the only "top eight" allergen this recipe contains. To make the shortcakes dairy-free, replace the butter with a solid dairy-free shortening and the half and half with a dairy-free replacement. If nuts aren't a problem for you, mimi-creme works well.
For the Strawberries
1 quart (4 cups) strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Biscuits
6 ounces (1 1/4 cups) sorghum flour
5 ounces (1 cup) brown rice flour
5.5 ounces (1 cup) potato starch
3 ounces (3/4 cup) tapioca starch
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups cold half and half (or 3/4 cup whole milk, 3/4 cup heavy cream)
Coarse sugar for sprinkling on top of shortcakes, optional
For the Topping
1 cup cold heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Make the Berries
- Combine strawberries, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Stir. Using the back of a fork, gently mash a few--only a few--of the sliced strawberries. Allow mixture to stand while you prepare the biscuits.
Make the Biscuits
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In bowl of food processor, pulse together sorghum flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum. (Don't have a food processor? Use a medium bowl and whisk ingredients together.)
- Add butter. Cut butter into dry ingredients by pulsing food processor a few times. Butter pieces should be about the size of a small peas. (If doing this by hand, cut shortening and butter into the dry ingredients with either a pastry cutter or by rubbing the fat into the dry ingredients with your hands.)
- Add half and half. Pulse food processor until dough forms. (Stir to combine if doing this by hand.) As soon as dough comes together, stop food processor.
- Drop dough, about 1/4 cup each, onto prepared baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle tops of shortcakes with coarse sugar. Bake until shortcakes are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove shortcakes from pan and place on wire rack to cool.
Whip the Cream
- In medium bowl, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add vanilla extract and granulated sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
Put It All Together
- Split cooled biscuits. On bottom half of the biscuit, spoon strawberries. Top with a generous amount of whipped cream. Sandwich with top biscuit. Enjoy!