Gluten-Free Fresh Pasta Recipe
Fresh Gluten-Free Pasta
Created By Elizabeth Barbone
May 15, 2014
This gluten-free pasta, made with only four ingredients, handles beautifully. If you want to use a pasta machine, go ahead and do so. However, I really enjoy the process of rolling and cutting the pasta by hand!
Prep Time:10 minutes to mix dough, 30 minutes to roll
Cook time:boil for 7 minutes
about one hour
1 1/2 cups (7.5 ounces) brown rice flour 1/2 cup (2 ounces) tapioca starch 1 teaspoon xanthan gum 2 large eggs
- In large bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, tapioca starch, and xanthan gum. Add eggs. Switch to a wooden spoon and stir until a dough forms. Generously dust your counter with brown rice flour. Turn dough out onto counter and knead a few times until fairly smooth.
- For a pasta machine: Divide dough into four equal pieces and work with 1 piece at a time, keeping the rest covered. Press the dough to flatten it slightly. Using a pasta machine set at the widest setting, run the dough through 2 times. Continue rolling dough through successively narrower settings until you reach the second-to-last setting.
- Cut dough sheet in half horizontally and pass each through the fettuccine cutter. (The spaghetti setting is too thin for this gluten-free pasta.) Dust pasta with brown rice flour and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough pieces
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until tender, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately with your choice of sauce.
- To Roll by Hand: Divide dough in half. Generously dust your counter with brown rice flour. Roll dough out until it's very thing, about 1/8-inch. Cut dough in half horizontally. Cut dough into ribbons, about 3/8-inch each. Dust ribbons with brown rice flour, gather, and place onto rimmed baking sheet. Repeat until all dough is used.
- Bring a large pot (5 1/2 quart) of salted water to a boil. Serve immediately with your choice of sauce.