Gluten-Free Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars Recipe
Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (Gluten-Free)
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: about one hour
Total time: about 70 minutes
Yield: makes 18 bars
- 2/3 cup (5 1/4 ounces) unsalted butter
- Gluten-free cooking spray
- 1 1/4 (6 ounces) cups gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) white or brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) cornstarch
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups (12 ounces) packed dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (6 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (4 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- In small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir frequently. At first, the butter will bubble and foam. Cook until butter solids turn lightly golden brown. Butter will be aromatic, about ten minutes. Pour butter into a small bowl. (this prevents it from overcooking) Allow to cool until it just begins to thicken but doesn't fully set, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13 by 9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. In small bowl, whisk together oat flour, rice flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. In bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, combine cooled browned butter and dark brown sugar. Cream on medium speed until combined. Add eggs one at a time. Allow eggs to fully incorporate before adding the next egg. After you add the last egg, cream for 30 seconds. Stop mixer. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl. Cream for an additional 30 seconds. Butter-egg mixture will be light.
- Stop mixer. Add flour mixture and vanilla. Mix until a stiff dough forms. Stop mixer. Add chocolate chip and coconut. Turn on mixer and blend until ingredients are incorporated. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake until are set and golden brown, about 35 minutes. Cool in pan and then cut into bars.