Blog | Gingerbread House How To (no photos)
Gingerbread House How To (no photos)
- Gingerbread dough
- parchment paper
- white rice flour
- rolling pin
- gingerbread house template
- pizza cutter
- rimmed baking sheet
- cardboard cake circle or platter
- royal icing (recipe here)
- pastry bag
- round icing tip
- candy, if desired.
- Prepare dough as directed. Cut dough round in half. Place on parchment paper. Sprinkle dough lightly with white rice flour. Cover with another piece of parchment paper.
- Roll dough out to 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch thick. Remove top piece of parchment only.
- Use a rolling pin to trim dough. Cut out dough shapes. Don't move the dough off of the parchment paper. By leaving the cut out on the parchment, they won't become distorted. Repeat as needed. Slide parchment, in one swift movement, into a rimmed baking sheet. (Trust me, this works.)
- Bake until pieces are golden brown. Baking time varies depending on the size of the gingerbread cutouts. Best bet is to check the oven after 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven. Allow gingerbread to cool on the pan. Once cool, remove the gingerbread.
- Prepare royal icing. Fit pasty bag with round tip. Place back wall and one (1) side wall face down on cardboard circle. Directly below the gingerbread pieces, pipe a ribbon of icing. Also pipe a ribbon of icing along the edge of the back wall that will meet the side wall. Stand pieces up in the icing and join together. Hold for a minute. Attach the other side wall in the same way: pipe a ribbon of icing onto the cardboard and a ribbon of icing onto the back wall. Press remaining side wall into the icing on the cardboard and join together with back wall.
- Repeat with front wall. Pipe a ribbon of icing onto the cardboard and two ribbons of icing along the edge of the front wall where it will meet the side walls.
- Allow house to dry for one hour.
- Pipe icing on the edges of the side wall. (Where the roof will rest.) Pipe a ribbon of icing along the edge of each roof cut out. Position roof into place, one roof piece at a time. Hold for a few minutes.
- Allow house to dry for two to three hours. Decorate as desired.
Makes one gingerbread house and lots of fun and memories.