Blog | Everything Oatmeal Cookies
Everything Oatmeal Cookies
January 18, 2011
How's winter treating you? Around here, it feels like one storm after another. Last week, during one of those storms, I wanted a cookie. Badly. Storms do these things to people! You want cookies and you want them now!
Since there were no cookies in the house I needed to bake a batch, which was fine with me. Baking during a storm gives me something to do and allows me to avoid laundry.
I mentioned on Facebook that lately I've had a thing for chocolate-covered raisins. Isn't it great how tastes change? For years, I didn't like raisins. Now, I'm a fan. Staying with my newfound love for chocolate-covered raisins, I decided to make a batch of chocolate-chip-raisin oatmeal cookies. Only I didn't stop there.
When I went to pull the raisins and chocolate chips off my shelf of “stuff”, I noticed coconut. The bag came off the shelf. Then I spotted the bag of almonds. It, too, came off the shelf. Finally, I noticed the bag of flaxmeal. And, you guessed it, it joined the other ingredients on my table. Now cookies with just chocolate chips and raisins seemed boring!
I didn't want to build a cookie recipe from scratch, I decided to modify my tested oatmeal cookie recipe. In addition to replacing the white rice flour with brown rice flour, I also dropped the cornstarch. The cookies, thanks to all the ingredients I decided to add, just didn't need the structure of the starch to hold them together.
And the result? Let's just say they were so good, I didn't even mind the weather.
1 1/4 cups brown rice flour
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups gluten-free oats
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped almonds
3/4 cup ( 1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Makes about two dozen cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In small mixing bowl, whisk together brown rice flour, sweet rice flour, baking soda ground flaxseed meal, cinnamon, and salt.
- In bowl of stand mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar until a thick paste forms, about 45 seconds. Add eggs, one at time, scraping down bowl between each addition of egg. Cream, on medium-high speed, until butter mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla. Blend until incorporated. Stop mixer. Add whisked dry ingredients. Blend, on medium speed, until a dough forms. Stop mixer. Add oats, raisins, chocolate chips, coconut, and chopped almonds. Blend, on low speed, until ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Drop dough, about one tablespoon each, onto prepared baking sheet. Bake until aromatic and lightly golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Repeat until all dough is used.