MEMBER Recipe: Apple Cobbler
I love apple cobblers! They have all the flavor of an apple pie but can be made in minutes. This recipe produces a classic apple cobbler that is just begging for a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
For the Topping
3/4 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons butter, cold
3/4 cup buttermilk
For the Apple Filling
4 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I used 2 Granny Smith and 2 McIntosh.) You want about 5 cup of apples total
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup granulated sugar (You might need more or less depending on how sweet your apples are. I like to sprinkle some sugar over the apples, taste and adjust accordingly.)
1 Tablespoon white rice flour
Extra granulated sugar and ground cinnamon for sprinkling on the top of the cobblers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease 6 1-cup oven-safe dishes. (If you don't have individual dishes, use a 9x9x2-inch baking pan.)Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter until no large piece of butter remain.
- Stir in buttermilk until a batter forms. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss together apples, sugar, and ground spices. Taste. Adjust sugar as needed. Once you've adjusted the sweetness, stir in sweet rice flour.
- Place cobbler dishes on a baking pan. (Since the cobbler sometimes bubbles over, I use an old baking pan as you can see in the pictures.) Divide apple mixture evenly among prepared dishes.
- Spoon batter over the apple mixture. Sprinkle top lightly with granulated sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until topping is brown and filling is bubbling.
© 2006-2014 Gluten-Free Baking and More/Elizabeth Barbone
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction without permission prohibited.