FREE RECIPE: How to Make Gluten-Free Bread
Easy Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread
This recipe is from my cookbook, Easy Gluten-Free Baking. I worked hard to create a recipe that tasted *just like* the soft sandwich bread you remember.
If you've never made sandwich bread before, this is a perfect recipe to start with. The loaf can be made in about 2 1/2 hours. And, if you have made gluten-free bread before, I hope you give this recipe a try. I think you will enjoy it.
The skinny on how to make great gluten-free bread:
See? That is not hard! You basically whisk the dry and wet ingredients, combine the two, make a dough, allow it to rise and then bake. Gluten-free bread baking can be easy!
- Measure all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Use a dry measuring cup and spoons to accurately measure all the dry ingredients. Once all ingredients are measured, use a whisk to thoroughly combine all the ingredients.
- Use warm, not hot, water. Whisk water, oil, eggs and yeast together.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Mix for 5 minutes on medium-high speed. If using a KitchenAid (my favorite appliance), be sure to use the flat paddle attachment to mix your dough.
- Lightly grease a 9x5-inch baking pan. Spread dough evenly into the pan. Cover with a piece of lightly greased plastic wrap.
- Allow to dough to rise for about 1 hour. Dough should rise to the top of the pan. You can allow the dough to rise on the counter. You don't need to put it in the oven with a light on or on top of the fridge. Allowing the dough to rise on the counter will work just fine.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Don't put your pan into a cold oven. Believe it or not, the bread will go through a final rise, called "oven spring," when it hits the hot oven. You want to take advantage of this. So, be sure your oven is at the right temperature before throwing the pan into the oven.
- Bake the bread until the internal temperature of the dough reaches 208-211 degrees F. Use an instant reach thermometer to take the temperature of the bread. If your loaf if golden brown before the internal temp reaches 208 degrees F, simply cover it with a piece of aluminum foil and continue baking until the proper temperature is reached.
- Remove the bread from the oven and turn out onto a wire rack to cool. By place the bread on a wire rack to cool, the crust will remain crispy and won't get soft. If your loaf cools in the pan, you will end up with a soft crust and a gummy bread interior. Who wants that?
Here is the recipe:
2 1/2 cups Brown Rice Flour
2/3 cup cornstarch
2/3 cup dry milk powder
1 Tablespoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups warm water
1 packet active dry yeast
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs
Makes one 9x5 loaf
- In a small bowl, combine water and yeast. Stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Add yeast mixture, vegetable oil and eggs.
- Using an electric mixer, mix dough for five minutes on medium-high speed.
- Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with vegetable spay.
- Spread batter evenly into the pan.
- Lightly grease a piece of plastic wrap and cover the pan.
- Allow dough to rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake dough for 55 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 208°-211°F.
- Remove bread from oven and turn bread out onto a wire rack to cool completely.