Berries will be bursting into bloom soon. These spicy shortcakes are a nice change from plain shortcakes. I find that the cinnamon and ginger bring out lovely flavors from the berries. You can make these in advance, freeze them, and then thaw when you are ready to make a berry shortcake.
1 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/3 cup gluten-free oats
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup butter, cold, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup milk
For the Topping
Makes 10 shortcakes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Using a pastry cutter, or two knives, cut butter into dry ingredients until no large pieces of butter remain. (You want the butter to be in pea-sized pieces.)
- Add milk and stir until a dough forms.
- Drop 1/4 cup of dough onto prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly brush the tops of the dough with water. Generously sprinkle granulated sugar on top of the shortcakes.
- Bake shortcakes for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer shortcakes to a wire rack to cool.
© 2006-2014 Gluten-Free Baking and More/Elizabeth Barbone
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction without permission prohibited.