Cinnamon Swirl Coffeecake
Gluten-Free Baking and More, March 2007.
Cinnamon Swirl Coffeecake|
|Description: ||Cinnamon Swirl Coffeecake|
I have a challenge for you. I’m hoping you can convert this recipe to gluten-free. I tried but failed. My attempt was tasty but too sweet. It rose only about 1” even with two packets of yeast!
Your original recipe was a “one bowl” recipe. My recipe isn’t one bowl (although I tried!) but the taste is fantastic. The recipe did prove to be a challenge. The addition of baking powder provided the lift the bread needed. I hope you’ll enjoy the recipe!
3/4 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 envelopes Rapid Rise Yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup warm milk (120°F)
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
2 Tablespoons corn oil
2 large eggs
Cinnamon Swirl Topping
3 Tablespoons softened butter or margarine
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Add wet ingredients and blend until a batter forms.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan. Pour batter evenly into pan.
- In a small bowl, combine cinnamon topping ingredients. Blend together with a
fork. Sprinkle topping evenly over the batter.
- Using a knife, swirl topping lightly throughout the batter.
- Place pan in a cold oven. Allow pan to sit in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Turn oven to 350°F. Bake cake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and firm in the center.
- Remove pan from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
||Elizabeth Barbone |