Gluten-Free Baking and More, August 2006.
|Description: ||I first learned to make clafouti while I was a student at the Culinary Institute of America. It is one of the last recipes I remember learning. I love this dessert because it celebrates the berries. The sweet egg batter just acts to hold the berries together. Make this for dessert one night when you need something a little extra, but don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen.|
||1 1/4 pounds sour cherries, pitted or 1 pound frozen sour cherries, thawed and patted dry|
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 Tablespoon kirsch
Powdered sugar for dusting.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish. (Don’t use vegetable shortening or a cooking spray to grease the baking dish.)
- Place cherries in the baking dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, and granulated sugar. Blend for 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter evenly over the cherries.
- Bake until golden brown, about 40-45 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. (Don’t panic if the clafouti sinks. It probably will.)
- Dust generously with powdered sugar and serve warm. (Ice cream is also wonderful with clafouti.)
||Elizabeth Barbone |
© 2006-2014 Gluten-Free Baking and More/Elizabeth Barbone
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction without permission prohibited.