Gluten-Free Baking and More, July 2006.
|Description: ||Forever Summer by Nigella Lawson introduced me to Ricotta Pancakes. These light and airy pancakes are ideal for lazy summer mornings. Serve to guests—or your own family—and be ready to bask in the compliments.|
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 cup ricotta cheese (We used whole milk ricotta)
2/3 cup milk
2 large eggs
Vegetable oil for the pan
Fresh berries and maple syrup for serving, if desired.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine ricotta, milk and eggs. Stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the ricotta mixture and blend until smooth.
- Heat about 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet.
- For “silver-dollar” size pancakes, drop 2 tablespoons of batter onto your skillet. For large pancakes, drop about 1/4 cup of batter. (The batter should sizzle when it hits the skillet. If it doesn’t, the skillet isn’t hot enough.)
- Cook until bubbles appear on the surface of the batter. Flip pancakes and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
Serve with berries and syrup.
Serves four to six
||Elizabeth Barbone |