Old Fashioned Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Sandwiches
Gluten-Free Baking and More, July 2005.
Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Sandwiches|
|Description: ||How do you eat an ice cream sandwich? I lick all around the sides before biting into the middle. However you eat it, ice cream sandwiches are a fun dessert. In my pantheon of ice cream desserts, they rate one step above an ice cream cone and one step below an ice cream sundae. Not a bad place to be!|
||3/4 cup white rice flour|
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/4 cup water
1-11.5 ounce bag of chocolate chips (I use dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips)
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Pints of Your Favorite Ice Cream (More or less depending on how thick you like your ice cream sandwiches.)
- Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper. (The pan should be approximately 13 x 18 inches large.)
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together white rice flour, sweet rice flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, bring sugar, butter and water to boil. Once the mixture has reached a boil, and the butter has melted, turn heat off.
- Add chocolate chips and stir vigorously until the chips melt.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture. Blend until well combined.
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes. This cookie is very thin, so it is hard to do the “toothpick” test to ensure doneness. The fully baked cookie should be very fragrant and look almost dry. No wet/liquid batter should remain.
- Allow cookie to cool completely in pan.
- Once cool, freeze for 5 hours or overnight. Assemble as directed below.
How to Assemble the Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Transfer frozen cookie to a work surface.
- Carefully peel the parchment paper off the back of the cookie.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the cookie into 20 rectangles.
- Spread ice cream onto 1/2 of the rectangles. Sandwich together with remaining cookies.
- Wrap each sandwich with waxed paper or place into a plastic sandwich baggie.
- Place the ice cream sandwiches in a freezer-safe container.
- Freeze until ice cream is firm, about 4 hours. Enjoy!
Makes 20 ice cream sandwiches
||Elizabeth Barbone |