Gluten-Free French Toast Recipe
French Toast for a Crowd
Gluten-Free Baking and More, Oct 04.
|Description: ||Stale bread, eggs, and milk. It is amazing that these simple ingredients can make a spectacular breakfast. French toast is a classic. Try it this month with our cinnamon raisin bread. The classic just got better.|
||4 large eggs |
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 slices of day old cinnamon raisin bread, sliced about 3/4” thick.
4 Tablespoons butter
Pure maple syrup, for serving
- Place bread, in a single layer, into a large baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt.
- Pour egg mixture over bread. Soak bread, for about 1 minute. Turn slices and soak another minute.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Remove three slices of bread from the baking dish. (Allow excess egg to drip off into baking dish.)
- Fry until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining butter and bread.
- Serve warm with maple syrup, if desired.
||Elizabeth Barbone |
This recipe is easily doubled or tripled. Slice an entire loaf of bread the day before you plan to on making French toast for breakfast. Leave the bread uncovered on a baking sheet overnight. To keep French toast warm after cooking, heat oven to
250°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place in the oven. After cooking the French toast, transfer directly to the parchment-lined baking sheet. Keep in the oven until you are ready to serve. (No more than 1 hour.)
© 2006-2014 Gluten-Free Baking and More/Elizabeth Barbone
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction without permission prohibited.