Gluten-Free Blueberry Buckle Recipe
Gluten-Free Baking and More, Aug 2004.
|Description: ||Blueberry buckle is often described as coffeecake with blueberries. I think that definition does not do this dessert much justice. To me, blueberry buckle is best described as fresh blueberries lightly bound together with rich, moist cake.|
1 1/4 cups white rice flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (If berries are frozen, do not thaw.)
2 teaspoons lemon zest
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, softened
||To Make the Cake|
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and rice flour a 9-inch round pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together white rice flour, corn starch, sweet rice flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar, about 30 seconds. Add egg and vanilla. Mix for 1-minute at medium speed.
- Add half the dry ingredients. Blend for 30 seconds.
- Add remaining dry ingredients. Blend on medium speed until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Add remaining milk. Blend until combined.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and top with streusel. (See recipe below.)
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!
To Make Topping
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, white rice flour, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Using your fingers or a pastry fork, add butter. Blend until well combined.
- Mixture should form large clumps. (Think damp sand.)
||Elizabeth Barbone |
This recipe is great for summer entertaining. It can be served warm for dessert or eaten cold for breakfast.
© 2006-2014 Gluten-Free Baking and More/Elizabeth Barbone
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction without permission prohibited.