Cinnamon Coffeecake Recipe
Gluten-Free Baking and More, April 04.
|Description: ||I love, love, love cinnamon coffeecake. This recipe made its debut in our Gluten-Free Breakfast Goodies class. It has become a favorite of our students. Make it on a morning when you have time to linger with the paper, a thick slice of this coffee cake, and a great cup of coffee (or tea!).|
||For the Cake|
1 cup white rice flour
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
For the Topping
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
3 Tablespoons white rice flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 Tablespoons butter, softened
||To Make the Cake|
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease and rice flour a 9x9 inch square pan.
- Make the topping (See directions below). Set topping aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together white rice flour, sweet rice flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Mix thoroughly between each addition.
- Add dry ingredients. Mix until combined. Batter will be dry.
- Add sour cream. Blend well until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Be sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the topping over the top the batter.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean.
- Cool pan on a wire rack.
To Make the Topping
In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, granulated sugar, white rice flour, cinnamon and butter. Using a fork, or your fingers, blend ingredients together. (The ingredients should come together like damp sand.)
||Elizabeth Barbone |