Pumpkin Scone Recipe
Pumpkin Scone Recipe
for more about this recipe, click HERE
Created By Elizabeth Barbone
December 10, 2013 These spicy pumpkin scones are glazed with a vanilla glaze and then drizzled with a pumpkin glaze. The glazes, while tasty and pretty, can be omitted. When selecting the canned pumpkin for this recipe, be sure to use pumpkin purée and not pumpkin pie filling.
Recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats.
20 minutes Cook time:
about 20 minutes Total time:
about 2 hours if glazed, about one hour if not glazed. Serves makes 12 scones
For the Scones 1 cup (4 ounces) millet flour 1/2 cup (2 ounces) sorghum flour 1/2 cup (2 ounces) white rice flour 1/2 cup (4 ounces) granulated sugar 1 tablespoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger 6 Tablespoons cold butter, cut into tablespoon-size pieces 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!) 3 tablespoons half and half 1 large egg For the Vanilla Glaze
1 cup (4 ounces) powdered sugar 3 tablespoons half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Pumpkin Glaze
1 cup (4 ounces) powdered sugar
2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch ground ginger
pinch ground cloves
nonstick cooking spray
- For the Scones: Preheat oven to 425°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In large bowl, whisk together millet flour, sorghum flour, white rice flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. Using your hands or a pastry cutter, cut butter into dry ingredients until no large pieces of butter remain. Mixture should resemble a coarse cornmeal.
- In small bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, half and half, and egg. Add to dry ingredients. Stir until a wet dough forms. Turn dough out onto prepared making sheet. Spray top of dough lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Using your hands, pat the dough into a circle about 1/2-inch thick. Use a sharp knife and cut the dough into 8 or 12 wedges.
- Bake until golden brown, about 18 minutes. Remove pan from oven. Quickly cut wedges again. Sometimes they stick together during baking. Allow scones to cool on the pan.
- For the Vanilla: Prepare the vanilla glaze Stir together powdered sugar, half and half, and vanilla together in a small bowl. The glaze should flow easily from a spoon. If it doesn't add an additional teaspoon of half and half to the glaze. Place a wire cooling rack over a piece of parchment paper. Spoon the glaze evenly over the cooled scones. Allow to glaze to harden.
- Prepare the pumpkin glaze. In small bowl, stir together powdered sugar, pumpkin puree, half and half, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Glaze should be thick. Transfer glaze to a piping bag. Drizzle glaze over each scone. If you don't have a piping bag, place glaze into a plastic sandwich bag and snip one of the corners to make a bag or thin glaze with half and half and drizzle from a fork onto scones.
© 2006-2014 Gluten-Free Baking and More/Elizabeth Barbone
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction without permission prohibited.