For more information about this recipe, click here.
If you prefer a traditional shortcake, replace the brown rice and sorghum flour with white rice flour. I've made the recipe both ways and love both versions.
Allergen-Free Modifications: Dairy is the only "top eight" allergen this recipe contains. To make the shortcakes dairy-free, replace the butter with a solid dairy-free shortening and the half and half with a dairy-free replacement. If nuts aren't a problem for you, mimi-creme works well.
6 ounces (1 1/4 cups) sorghum flour
5 ounces (1 cup) brown rice flour
5.5 ounces (1 cup) potato starch
3 ounces (3/4 cup) tapioca starch
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups cold half and half (or 3/4 cup whole milk, 3/4 cup heavy cream)
Coarse sugar for sprinkling on top of shortcakes, optional
Easy Strawberry Shortcake
Strawberries, hulled and sliced
Heavy cream or whipped heavy cream
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In bowl of food processor, pulse together sorghum flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum. (Don't have a food processor? Use a medium bowl and whisk ingredients together.)
- Add butter. Cut butter into dry ingredients by pulsing food processor a few times. Butter pieces should be about the size of a small peas. (If doing this by hand, cut shortening and butter into the dry ingredients with either a pastry cutter or by rubbing the fat into the dry ingredients with your hands.)
- Add half and half. Pulse food processor until dough forms. (Stir to combine if doing this by hand.) As soon as dough comes together, stop food processor.
- Drop dough, about 1/4 cup each, onto prepared baking sheet. If desired, sprinkle tops of shortcakes with coarse sugar. Bake until shortcakes are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove shortcakes from pan and place on wire rack to cool.
- To make an easy strawberry shortcake: Toss sliced strawberries with confectioners' sugar. Allow berries to stand for about five minutes. Split shortcake in half. Top shortcake with berries and drizzle with cream or spoon whipped cream on top of berries.
© 2006-2013 Gluten-Free Baking and More/Elizabeth Barbone
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction without permission prohibited.